The Mortgage process and Next steps
How our mortgage process works
Every mortgage customer is different and may need help at different stages of the mortgage application process. The following takes you through the various steps required when applying for a mortgage and the most common questions our advisers are asked during an application.
I don’t know how much you will lend me and would like to talk to you about how to begin the mortgage process.
Go to step 1
I know how much you will lend me and would like to talk to you about how to begin the mortgage process.
Go to step 3
I know how much you will lend me, I have found a property I would like to buy and I would like to begin the mortgage application process.
Go to step 3
- Use our affordability calculator to find out how much we may be able to lend you.
- Once you know how much we may be able to lend you, you can then find out how much your monthly repayments will be by using our helpful mortgage repayment calculator.
- Once you have an idea of how much we may be able to lend you and are comfortable with the monthly payments please contact us on 0345 606 4488 (Open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday 9am - 3pm Saturday) to book a suitable time for your initial appointment with one of our mortgage adviser. N.B: This first phone call will only take 5 minutes of your time.
- Now it’s time for you to go through the full mortgage appointment that you booked on your previous phone call or visit to branch. The mortgage adviser will call you at the agreed time and the call should last around 1 hour 30 minutes. They will go through your current income and expenditure to determine exactly how much we will lend you. Although the exact documents required vary from case to case it is useful to have the following documents to hand.
- Latest payslip
- Balances of any savings accounts you have
- Details of any credit card debt you may have
- Details of any loans you may have
- Regular commitments – such as a phone contract or gym membership
- Details of any insurance policies you may hold
A full credit search will then be completed and you will receive a Decision in Principle (DIP). Some estate agents may require this when you go to put an offer in on a house/flat.
During the second part of the appointment the mortgage adviser will advise and recommend the best mortgage for you based on your personal needs and circumstances. Our mortgage adviser will issue you with a document that outlines the monthly repayment based on the chosen mortgage (this is also known as a key facts illustration)
Once you have completed this appointment and know how much you are able to lend you can go ahead and make a formal offer to the seller of the house you wish to buy.
Once your offer has been accepted on the property you can then make an application to us. At this point we will ask you to send us documents to support your application, these will include;
- Bank statements
- Proof of address
- Proof of identity
Also if there are any fees that are required to be paid up front with your application, you will need to send us a cheque or call us on 0345 606 4488 to pay by card to cover this. Your mortgage adviser will have explained these fees to you during your mortgage appointment.
We will then begin processing your application. If you are purchasing a property this will include us carrying out a valuation on the property you are buying to ensure that the property is worth what you have agreed to pay for it.
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE