We realise that when someone dies it is a very emotional time for all involved and it can often be overwhelming. As well as the sadness of losing someone close, there’s often a seemingly bewildering amount of paperwork that needs to be dealt with.

Supporting you through bereavement

Our bereavement guide helps to explain some of the things that need to be done regarding the finances of the person who has passed away. We hope it will make at least a small difference and help you cut through some of the paperwork.

It also gives you practical information on how to notify and confirm a death, what happens to someone’s accounts when they die, what you’ll need to close their accounts and how to get help with funeral costs.

Download Bereavement Guide

We’re here to help 

We also appreciate that sorting out these issues may be the last thing on your mind. So if you’d like to talk to someone to help you through the steps you need to take, have a look at the contact us section. It tells you how you can get in touch.

We hope it will make at least a small difference and help you cut through some of the paperwork. If you need any further information please do not hesitate to call us on 0345 734 4345*.

*Lines are open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday) or call into your local branch.

What we need to register a death 

In order to register the death of one of our customers, we will require one of the following documents

  • Original death certificate
  • Death certificate verification form (from your solicitors - England and Wales only)
  • Original interim death certificate
  • A certified copy death certificate i.e. ‘Entry Pursuant to the Births and Death Registration Act 1953 Certificate’ or an ‘Extract of an Entry in a Register of Death’ obtained from   a coroner’s office (Scotland only)

We regret that we cannot accept a photocopy of the death certificate.

Please note we are unable to make amendments to a customer’s account until we receive confirmation that you are the executor of the estate, although we can correspond with a solicitor acting on your behalf and/or provide information about balances which may help you to complete the probate application.

Documentation should be taken to your nearest branch or sent to our Head Office addressed to the Mortgage Operations or Investment Services Department depending on whether they had a mortgage or savings account with us at:

Newcastle Building Society,
1 Cobalt Park Way
NE28 9EJ

The government’s Tell Us Once service

There are a also a number of government departments you might need to inform after the death of a loved one. To help, the government offers a Tell Us Once service,  which lets you contact several departments in one go, such as:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
  • Passport Office
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • The local council
  • Veterans UK

This service is offered by most local authorities but isn’t available in Northern Ireland or if the person was living permanently abroad.