Skip to main content
Newcastle Building Society - Home

We're sorry, but our website is not compatible with the browser you are using.

To get the best experience we would strongly advise using a more recent and compatible browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or iOS Safari.

Home Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

All content is approved by LV=’s in-house advisory board of experts.

To help you understand more about your Newcastle (or LV=) Home Insurance policy, here are answers to some of your most commonly asked questions.

Newcastle Building Society Insurance is Underwritten by Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited.

How do I know if I have an LV= My Account?

You'll automatically have an account if you saved a quote or if you chose to sign up after buying or renewing a policy. Visit to log in to your account or set up a new one.

How do I register for an LV= home insurance My Account?

If you don’t have an account yet, you can register for one LV=’s online form.

What can I do in LV=’s My Account?

Log in to your account to view and download your policy documents and view any saved quotes. If you don’t already have one, you can register for your new LV= account.

I have forgotten my password for my home insurance quote and cannot retrieve it

When you saved your quote, you should have received an email from LV= with details of your quote and how to access it again. If the email isn't in your inbox, please check your spam or junk folders in case it's in there. If you still can't find it, you can re-set your password in My Account by clicking the ‘I’ve forgotten my password’ link.

How long are my home insurance quotes saved for?

Your saved home insurance quotes are valid until the cover start date. You'll still be able to view them in LV=’s My Account after that point, but you won't be able to buy them. Simply start a new quote if your old one’s no longer valid.

Do I get a home insurance discount for being in a neighbourhood watch scheme?

No, LV= don't offer you a discount if you're in a neighbourhood watch scheme.

What is my home insurance excess?

Everyone's home insurance excess is different. It varies depending on the type of claim you're making, your personal circumstances and how much voluntary excess you agreed to when you bought your insurance.

To find out how much you might have to pay if you had to make a claim, please check the document pack we sent you for more information.

Can LV= cover me for home insurance?

LV= can insure you if you have:

  • not made more than two household claims within the last five years
  • no unspent criminal convictions (excluding motoring convictions)

LV= can't insure you if the property:

  • is occupied by tenants, we offer landlord insurance for this
  • has previously been flooded or is currently under a flood warning
  • has suffered from, or is showing any signs of, subsidence, landslip or heave
  • isn't built of brick, stone or concrete and roofed with slate, tiles, metal, asphalt
  • isn't in a good state of structural repair
  • is a mobile home
  • isn't self-contained
  • is unfurnished
  • is unoccupied
  • has eight or more bedrooms
  • has six or more bathrooms
  • is a grade I or grade II* listed property, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland
My property is listed, will LV=’s home insurance cover me?

LV= can offer you home insurance on your listed property if:

  • you live in England or Wales and your home is Grade II listed
  • you live in Scotland and your home is Grade C listed
  • you live in Northern Ireland and your home is Grade B1 listed

LV= can't cover:

  • Grade I or Grade II* listed properties, or the equivalent in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
What's a listed property?

It's a property which would be of special architectural or historic interest. As a useful tool you can check whether a property is listed by searching The National Heritage List for England.

We are not responsible for content on other websites.

I run a business from home. Can LV= insure me?

No, LV= do not cover homes which are used for any business purposes other than paperwork, computer work or telephone calls.

If I have a lodger will my home insurance be affected?

Yes, as LV= don’t provide cover for lodgers. When you apply for home insurance with LV=, they’ll ask you to confirm that the property insured is your main residence and lived in by you and your family.

Do I have to declare criminal convictions when taking out home insurance?

Yes, when you apply for home insurance, LV= will ask you if you or anyone living with you have any unspent criminal convictions. If you don’t disclose this information, it may invalidate your home insurance.

My pipes have burst - am I covered on my home insurance?

Yes, if you get a burst pipe at home, LV= will do everything we can to put things right. To make a claim, give LV= a call on 0330 678 5555.

Lines open:
Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm
Saturday 8am – 4pm
Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays

What's a Defaqto star rating?

Defaqto are a UK leading independent financial information business, and they have given our Home Gold insurance a 5 Star Rating.

Who are the insurance regulators?

There are two financial services regulators; the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Does it matter what my house is built out of?

Yes, when you apply for home insurance with LV=, they’ll ask you to confirm that the property to be insured is built of brick, stone or concrete and that roof is made of slate, tile, metal or asphalt.

Do you cover matching sets and suites?

Yes, with LV= home Insurance or contents insurance, they’ll pay 50% of the cost to replace any undamaged item, if it forms part of a matching set. For example, if your sofa is water damaged and unrepairable, they’ll replace that, as well as give you 50% of the cost towards a matching armchair.

Do you have approved suppliers and specialists for home repairs?

Yes, LV= use approved tradespeople and suppliers across the UK to inspect damage, replace goods and make home repairs on their behalf. Better still, any repairs their recommended specialists carry out are guaranteed for 12 months.

Some people prefer to use their own tradesmen for repairs. If you decide this is the best option for you, you must speak to LV= before doing so. Please give them a call on 0330 678 5555.

Lines open:
Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm
Saturday 8am – 4pm
Closed Sundays and Bank Holidays

I live in rented accommodation, what contents cover do I need?

You'll need contents insurance for your own belongings, such as clothes, gadgets, furniture or televisions. You’ll also need it for your landlord's furniture but only if your rental agreement makes you responsible for them.

What's subsidence?

Subsidence is downward movement of the ground supporting the building, most commonly caused by:

  • the shrinkage of clay subsoil following long spells of dry weather
  • trees and other vegetation which extract moisture from the soil causing it to shrink
  • leaking drains, which wash away the subsoil below foundations
  • mining activity
What is Trace and Access?

Trace and Access of water or oil leaks relates to the cover needed for the costs involved in finding the source of an escape of water or leakage of oil.

How can I pay for my Home Insurance?

You can pay by debit and credit card or by monthly or annual direct debit at no extra charge.

Newcastle Building Society Insurance is Underwritten by Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited.

LV= and Liverpool Victoria are registered trademarks of Liverpool Victoria Financial Services Limited and LV= and LV= Liverpool Victoria are trading styles of the Liverpool Victoria General Insurance Group of companies. Liverpool Victoria Insurance Company Limited, registered in England and Wales number 3232514 is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority, register number 202965. Registered address: 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 1DB. Tel. 0330 1239970