Do I Need a Solicitor?

If you’re thinking of starting a new chapter by investing in a new home, it’s natural to have a lot of questions. Many homebuyers are unsure whether they need a solicitor or if they can save themselves a little extra cash by going without.


In this guide, we explain whether you need a solicitor when buying or selling a house.

Do I need a solicitor to buy a house? 

A solicitor or licensed conveyancer is highly recommended when buying your house given the amount of legal work required. It is also likely one of the requirements from your mortgage lender is that you use a solicitor or licensed conveyancer. They will handle all formalities on your behalf, offering advice at every stage.

Licensed conveyancers specialise in residential housing transactions and often cost less than solicitors.

Do I need a solicitor to remortgage?

If you are re-mortgaging, a solicitor would need to be appointed in order to redeem the existing mortgage from your previous lender, as well as your land registry and your title checks. This is not the case however if you’re re-mortgaging with your current lender, as this qualifies as a product transfer and requires no additional legal work.

When to instruct a solicitor when buying a house? 

You should be appointing or instructing your solicitor as soon as your offer on the property is accepted. At this point, your solicitor will provide terms of engagement. These will outline the fees you are required to pay.

Your solicitor will also contact the seller’s solicitor and manage the communications on your behalf.

What does a solicitor do when buying or selling a house?

A property solicitor is on hand to manage all the legal aspects of the house buying process, such as transferring the ownership of your home. They will either charge you a flat rate for this, or take a percentage of the value of the property.

If you’re buying and selling a property at the same time, the same solicitor can deal with both transactions.

Our solicitor service

Newcastle Building Society is in partnership with the UK’s leading conveyancing panel management specialist, Legal Marketing Services.

Where our products are offered on a fees assisted basis (where a fees assisted legal transfer is included in the features of the product), LMS will manage the conveyancing service provided by one of their appointed conveyancing firms.

We hope you have found this guide useful. However, should you have more questions about whether you will require a solicitor or if you’re interested in getting a mortgage with Newcastle Building Society, call us on th enumber below.

Your mortgage will be secured on your home. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.

Apply for a mortgage today

Talk to our mortgage advisers


Calls to 03 numbers, cost the same as a call to a standard ‘01’ or ‘02’ landline number, even when calling from a mobile. Contact your provider for more information.